Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Masks

On my way home tonight, I was listening in on an English conversation that the couple in front of me were having. (I believe this is common practice when living in a foreign country. My friends and I agree, that often the most interesting people on the MRT (subway) are the foreigners. And although we ourselves don't like to be stared at, we enjoy staring at other foreigners.)

The guy was white and the woman was Taiwanese. He noticed someone who was wearing a surgical mask. And commented on how that was kind of embarrassing. I giggled to myself that he was giving himself away as a newbie. People here always wear masks when they are sick. And after two years of this I'm beginning to think that it will be so gross and unhealthy to go home to NZ where people don't do it.

I had fun reflecting on how my attitudes have changed. I remember when I first arrived in Japan and saw people doing that, I thought it was kind of strange and embarrassing. But now, I just realise that when you live in a overcrowded city, it's a very good idea.

1 comment:

andehe said...

Oh how I want to be a newbie...
taiwan sounds so great.