5 sleeps to go
Wow, I cant believe we will be home in just 5 sleeps.
We have been having a great time in Malaysia. Since it is our last country and we are tired and ready to come home we have been taking it easy here. I wrote previously about visiting the tea plantations in the Cameron Highlands.
Well, after that we went to Kuala Lumpur. What a fantastic city. Its busy and metropolitan and still a dizzying mixture of people, cultures and religions.
Here we visited:
- The world's highest twin towers, the Petronus Towers. You can't go as high as Taipei's 101 but they are beautiful modern buildings
- SEA's biggest shopping mall
- The National Mosque, had a really informative chat to a guide there. We were able to ask a few questions we had formulated since our last mosque visit.
- The National Museum
- The worlds largest walk-in bird aviary
- Chinatown
- Other stuff i cant remember right now
The city was so coveted by the European powers that the Portuguese writer Barbarosa wrote "Whoever is Lord in Malacca has his hand on the throat of Venice." It was a major port along the spice-route, and its harbor bristled with the sails and masts of Chinese junks and spice-laden vessels from all over the hemisphere.This is the town of museums. One guide told us there are about 20 in just this town. Yikes! I'm pretty tired now from visiting just 6 or so of them.
Tomorrow we head to Singapore for 3 nights and then board our plane home! Yippeee! Can't wait to see you all!
4 comments:
How nice to finally be able to read more about your adventures! hmmm, cyclones! I'm planning a trip to Cambodia, Thailand and Laos (but not till late June) so when you get home and are rested, feel free to email me your itinerary there (I'm not sure you made it to Laos?) and any useful tips the travel guides won't have... Have a safe journey home! Enjoy NZ.
shorties are one-two on your blog today...
great to hear about your long trip home and nice quote. maybe it will be my turn to explore that region sometime? sometime in the next six months perhaps you could give us a ten-reasons-to-live-in-a -SEA country (and other words of reflection)? does your impending return to aukilani mean this blog will die (I want to say a slow death, but it could equally be fast)? or has your time away meant that it now has a foreign audience?
I hope you don't die of lack of sleep. Love from Notts
We loved Malacca. Our favorite was the Baba and Nanya's Museum. We still talk about our visit there.
Ahhhh, end of the trip! I completely understand how you are feeling, the backpacker life, as fun as it is, starts to wear you thin after awhile. I was ready to go home for the past month.
Wasn't Malaysia the best? I think when all is said and done, it rivals Laos as my favorite country of the trip.
I just arrived home yesterday, I hope you guys are settling in nicely yourselves. Back after 2+ years, WOW! Hopefully it's going well! Is the weather good as least? it's cold and rainy in California :-(
I'll be sending photos your way soon!
Hugs, Nicole
Post a Comment